Friday, December 7, 2018

Fun at the city's holiday festival

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is my city's holiday festival each year. We live in Arizona, so the weather is always nice, but with a crispy chill in the air.

The kids loved the bouncy houses, clowns and balloon animals. And of course we stopped for funnel cakes and cheesy fries. My husband and I felt very old because the "oldies" cover band was playing music from your teenage years. We absolutely embarrassed our children by singing along.

Boo was extra excited because a local herpetological society brought lots of snakes, lizards, alligators and tortoises to check out. We got to pet an alligator!

Another highlight is the living statue, who lets the kids paint her dress every year. They always look forward to it.

Finally, I got what I required of everyone - a photo with Santa. My eldest is 9 and I couldn't help but wonder how long he is going to let me insist on a Santa picture.

We followed up the event the following week by taking my two littlest to a cookies and crafts with Santa event, where they got to meet the big guy again.

Boo is on the fence about Santa this year, and is determined to convince my 6yo daughter that he doesn't exist. He asked for a remote controlled scorpion, thinking such things don't exist so that he could prove that Santa isn't real either. But this mamma indeed found that remote control scorpion online and it will be in front of the tree!

I'm so thankful that my city has such great events for the kids. I know a lot of people don't take advantage of them or even know what's going on in their area! If you visit your city's website, you can find most activities on the parks and recreation page or city calendar. Also, there are a lot of local mom blogs, such as Macaroni Kid, that have great calendars of fun family activities.

I hope everyone has a fun and happy holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment